Foundation / Corporation
Action for Healthy Kids (AFHK)
Grants of $500 and $1,000 to USA K-12 schools in eligible states for programs and initiatives that increase student engagement in physical activity and that promote healthy eating habits for students. Funded schools will also receive individualized support from the Funding Source (expertise and people power) to help implement a successful project that leads to sustainable change.
Schools in the following states may apply: Alabama, California, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Texas, Washington, DC, West Virginia, and Wisconsin.
Awarded schools will implement at least one physical activity initiative to increase:
- Physical activity minutes (to at least 30 minutes per day or by 10% if minutes are already more than 30)
- Percentage of students participating in physical activity initiatives and/or
- Percentage of time students engage in moderate-to-vigorous physical activity
Additionally, awarded schools will:
- Implement at least one nutrition initiative to advance the school nutrition environment (see Application Instructions in Supporting Documents below)
- Work toward becoming a health promoting school, as measured by AFHK’s School Health Index, or applying for a national school health recognition program such as the USDA’s HealthierUS School Challenge: Smarter Lunchrooms or the Alliance for a Healthier Generation’s Healthy Schools Program
- Provide information to students and parents on the importance of physical activity and nutrition
- Complete AFHK’s School Health Index at the beginning and end of the grant cycle
- Join the celebration during Every Kid Healthy Week by hosting a family-friendly health-promoting event during April 2019
Funds can be used towards the purchase of equipment, evaluation costs (printing/copying), incentives (no more than 10% of total budget), and food for taste testing only. Other eligible uses include:
- Funding for facilities and equipment for recess, playgrounds/play-spaces, classroom energizers, physical education, intramural and/or before/after-school programs that reinforce to students the value of an active lifestyle.
- Funding for nutrition education, school gardens, access to free water, competitive foods/smart snacks, salad bars, smarter lunchrooms, healthy fundraising, classroom celebrations and/or classroom rewards that introduce healthy foods, healthy food taste tests and cooking classes.
AFHK provides ongoing technical assistance to schools to ensure success and sustainability of the various school wellness initiatives. AFHK technical assistance includes:
- Content-specific webinars on school breakfast, universal breakfast and physical activity
- Expert assistance from National Staff and State Volunteers
- School Health Team trainings and resources
- Connections to local resources for additional support
- Training of key school grant team volunteers
- Assistance with evaluation measurements
- Assistance with communication efforts
- Promotion of school success stories
Award decisions will be based on building enrollment, project type, potential impact and a school’s ability to mobilize parents and students around school wellness initiatives.
GrantWatch ID#: 179725
Newly funded schools will be eligible for a $1,000 grant. Schools funded in previous grant years are eligible for a sustainability grant of $500.
Programs are to take place during the 2018-2019 school year.
K-12 schools in specific states are eligible to apply: Alabama, California, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Texas, Washington, DC, West Virginia, and Wisconsin.
Schools where greater than 50% of students are eligible for free/reduced-price meals may receive priority, but all schools are encouraged to apply.
Grant funds cannot be used for staffing or administrative costs. Grant funds of “Incentives, gifts, and awards” cannot be given to a person working with the grant. School Grants for Healthy Kids is an opportunity for schools to implement a program they would like to see in their schools. AFHK is assisting schools with funds and resources to help them achieve their goals, meet standards and make their students and school environment healthier.
Attend a webinar to learn more about 2018-2019 Game On grant opportunities and receive tips for applying:
Apply for a 2018-2019 Game On Grant
Wednesday, February 21, 2018
3:00 PM (ET), 2:00 PM (CT), 1:00 PM (MT), 12:00 PM (PT)
Register using the link in Contact Information below.
Applications are due online by April 6, 2018. Awarded schools will be notified by Monday, May 14, 2018.
AFHK awards grant funds in two payments, with the first installment (65% of total grant award) provided in August 2018 and the second installment (remaining 35%) provided in February 2019, after midterm reports have been received and approved. This allows AFHK to serve as good stewards of our funders’ monies and help ensure quality impacts through these projects. Note: If a newly funded school for $1,000 or more, your school will have $100 taken out of your 2nd installment for your Every Kid Healthy kit, which will be mailed to your school in February 2019.
For more information about Game On grants, go to:
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Register for the webinar here:
Click here to access the online School Portal to submit the official application: https://afhkschoolportal.force.com/AFHK_Communities_Login
For questions, contact your AFHK State Coordinator:
Or, email SchoolGrants@ActionforHealthyKids.org.
USA: Alabama; California; Florida; Georgia; Idaho; Illinois; Indiana; Iowa; Kentucky; Maryland; Michigan; Minnesota; New York City; New York; North Carolina; Ohio; Pennsylvania; Texas; Washington, DC; West Virginia; Wisconsin