Foundation / Corporation
Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation - Global Grand Challenges
05/02/18 11:30 AM PDT
Grants to USA, Canada and International nonprofit and for-profit companies, government agencies, and academic institutions for programs that increase the availability of affordable nutritious food for low-income urban consumers. Funding is intended to offer innovative solutions within market-based food systems to improve the health of nutritionally vulnerable populations.
This call is open to all respondents, and proposals are particularly encouraged from the private sector and/or entities that have partnerships with the private sector - to ensure a pathway to commercialization at scale. The first principle is to leverage existing innovation within the food and beverage industry and its suppliers for new applications that can reach low-income consumers, for greatest scale and impact. The Foundation also welcome technologies and translational approaches based on knowledge from ancillary fields, e.g., veterinary science, pharmaceuticals, etc. Proposals should address one of the following five innovation areas across the value chain:
1. Unlock investment in novel research in ingredient science for low-cost nutrition
2. Enable nutritious product formation and development
3. Reduce cost of sourcing/processing/packaging nutritious products
4. Improve reach of affordable distribution and retail channels to close "last mile" challenges
5. Leverage marketing, ICT, and other methods to stimulate behavior change and drive regular consumption
GrantWatch ID#: 170151
The amount awarded is up to $100,000 USD.
Phase I projects have a term of 18 months beginning on the project start date.
GCE is open to both foreign and domestic organizations, including non-profit organizations, for-profit companies, international organizations, government agencies, and academic institutions.
Under the Foreign Contribution Regulation Act of 2010 (FCRA). As part of the foundation’s diligence, they may ask for a copy of your organization’s registration under FCRA or a written certification that FCRA registration is not required. Failure to comply with the requirements of FCRA may subject your organization to financial and/or criminal penalties. You should consult with your own advisors to determine whether FCRA applies to your organization or project.
Project funds may not be used to reimburse expenses incurred prior to the project start date.
Funding will not be considered for approaches that:
- Detract from immediate and exclusive breastfeeding for the first six months after birth
- Are in foundational or discovery stages of research
- Target upper-income/ middle-income consumers
- Require significant user/operator behavior change, or are likely to have low consumer acceptability
- Are more targeted toward agricultural or commodity inputs than consumable food products
- Are squarely within the domain of food safety, given other upcoming requests for proposals on this topic
Key Dates Event
- March 2018: Application period opens
- May 2, 2018, 11:30 a.m. US PDT: Application deadline
- July 2018: Proposal review completed
- September 2018: Selections completed and notifications sent
- November 2018: Awarded projects start date
The GCE initiative publishes topics and invites proposals two rounds a year. An applicant must submit under only one topic each round and may submit only one proposal. Submit your best idea. You may submit multiple ideas in partnership with collaborators, but an individual Principal Investigator may lead the submission of only one proposal each round.
Application Instructions: https://gcgh.grandchallenges.org/application-instructions
FAQ for Grand Challenges Explorations: https://gcgh.grandchallenges.org/grant-opportunities/faq/gce
How Grants are Selected: https://gcgh.grandchallenges.org/how-grand-challenges-exploration-grants-are-selected
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
USA: Alabama; Alaska; Arizona; Arkansas; California; Colorado; Connecticut; Delaware; Florida; Georgia; Hawaii; Idaho; Illinois; Indiana; Iowa; Kansas; Kentucky; Louisiana; Maine; Maryland; Massachusetts; Michigan; Minnesota; Mississippi; Missouri; Montana; Nebraska; Nevada; New Hampshire; New Jersey; New Mexico; New York; North Carolina; North Dakota; Ohio; Oklahoma; Oregon; Pennsylvania; Rhode Island; South Carolina; South Dakota; Tennessee; Texas; Utah; Vermont; Virginia; Washington, DC; Washington; West Virginia; Wisconsin; Wyoming
USA Territories: American Samoa (USA) Guam (USA) Puerto Rico (USA) Virgin Islands (USA) Northern Mariana Islands (USA)
USA Compact Free Associations: The Federated States of Micronesia (USA) Marshall Islands (USA) Republic of Palau (USA)
Canada: Alberta British Columbia Manitoba New Brunswick Newfoundland and Labrador Northwest Territories Nova Scotia Nunavut Ontario Prince Edward Island Quebec Saskatchewan Yukon
International country outside of the USA, Israel and Canada.